Today’s post is really a #repost from one of my favorite Podcasts, The Minimalists. I’ve talked about minimalism before, the theme being, “To Live a Meaningful Life of Less“. Or the intentional use of your resources (time, talent, attention), being deliberate with it. You decide what “less” means, for you. Your less looks different from my less. In this particular episode, Joshua & Ryan (the authors) talk about creating a meaningful holiday season. What does a meaningful holiday season look like for you??! I encourage you think about, then CREATE that!
12/15 update: Minimalism documentary is now available on Netflix!
As I listened, I answered the questions discussed in the podcast (in gray).
- How do you get into the holiday spirit with all the everyday challenges of life, as well as the constant bombardment of holiday advertising? Getting into the holidays has never been a challenge for me. This is my FAVORITE time of year, mostly because I like the sparkle of the season. I’m that girl that wants to put her tree up super early. When it comes to advertising, I usually ignore it – that’s a skill. Not just during the holidays but in everyday life. Learn to ignore things that are a waste of your time or provide no value to you. Now, typically, if I see something I think I like/want, I always watch reviews on YouTube or read a blog post – it’s free advice! Or you can buy from Nordstrom and feel confident that you can return it if you change your mind.
- How do you avoid succumbing to the overconsumption of alcohol amid all the pressures of the holiday season? Again, never really an issue; but, find something you can do to avoid putting yourself in this situation. Don’t hang around people who you tend to drink around or worry around or think bad thoughts around. For the most part, you control your environment. Pick a new one. Looked at in another way, what do you overconsume? Lately my nmesis has been shopping for beauty products. I live it, breathe it, watch videos about it, read more reviews, etc. all day. Unless I find an alternative “thing to do.” I got out of this expensive rut by starting a new series on Netflix, Narcos. It’s sssooo very good and takes my mind off of my current short-term obsession with beauty products and skin care. So, the answer for me was to find something else to do that’s just as fun!
- How do you discuss with your family that you want to replace holiday traditions that no longer add value to your family’s holiday season? This one is golden because this year my family is doing just that! I/We have been talking about taking a trip during the holidays instead of giving gifts for YEARS (so there was a very LONG warming up period). This year I decided to reduce one of the barriers for my family and also suggested we only buy gifts for kids (no adults). We discussed, they semi-bought in and then I began to build excitement around the alternative. Once your family buys in, then YOU can do the work to CREATE the experience that provides more value.
I encourage you to listen to the episode and answer these questions for yourself as well. Really think about what a #meaningfulholiday looks like for you and what adds value to your life. Own it and go after it. #HappyHoildays
I’m on vacation this week (sort of) and will be experimenting with different types of posts. “What’s in my Bag Videos” have become very popular on YouTube (I watch them A LOT) and can be quite entertaining. A simple search for that phrase yields 4,450,000 results!!! The WIMB following is not a game! It kind of has the same feel as the #plannergirl community. You can find all types of handbags and all types of people sharing details about what they hall around with them on a daily basis and I abosolutely love it!
So today I thought I would jump on the bandwagon and talk about what’s in my Gucci Soho Disco Bag! This video isn’t perfect – I recorded once and decided to roll with it. 💁🏽If you like the video, let me know! Links to purchase all items of significance are listed below. Oh and I forgot to mention that my phone is always in my bag. I just couldn’t show it because I used it to record this video.
The Gucci Soho Disco bag was also featured in Bri’s Favorite Things 2016. Enjoy! 😊
Gucci Soho Disco Bag, Ray Ban Aviator Classic, Louis Vuitton Pochette Felicie (includes wallet), Neiman Marcus Sticky Notes, Paper Source Treat Yourself Pouch, Burt’s Bees Lip Balm, ZEISS Pre-moistened Lens Cleaning Wipes, La Fresh Makeup Remover Cleansing Travel Wipes, Mac Lipstick in Violetta, Tom Ford Jasmin Rouge Eau de Parfum, Paper Source Scalloped Cord Keeper, Louis Vuitton Key Pouch (aka Clay), Laduree Keychain Ring Eiffel Tower Macaroon Charm, Sessa Vee Pharaoh Black & Gold Rollerball Pen
Brown Sugar: A new subscription-based streaming service of classic movies. Think Netlflix for Black people. There are 111 un-edited movies (and counting) with no commercials! The service launched just this week and a free-month trial awaits you. Brown Sugar is available in the Google Play Store, iTunes App Store, www.BrownSugar.com and costs $3.99 per month.
Brown Sugar is a project from the African-American network Bounce TV. Atlanta-based Bounce TV, a multicast TV network distributed in markets across the U.S., was founded by Martin Luther King III and Georgia politician Andrew Young. #ATL
Check out the promotional video below featuring none other than Rick Ross.
Sign up here.
So, beautiful people… it’s time for Bri’s Favorite Things 2016! Looking over my list, I can truly say that ACCESSORIES definitely stole the year! If you’ve been reading my blog for a while, you already know the deal:
- Shopping is easy when you buy the things you love for the people you love
- I only recommend things I’ve actually purchased for myself ❤️❤️❤️
There are more than twenty-five items this year!!! 😳 All super fabulous, of course. ☺️ If you’re a guy and need ideas for your gal, this list is for you! If you’re a girl shopping for your mom, sister, neice, cousin, BFF (or for yourself 😉), this list is also for you!
Louis Vuitton Large Ring Agenda Cover, Michael Kors Jeweled Keaton Slip-On Sneaker, J. Crew Tippi Sweater, Pandora Shimmering Rose Earrings, Louis Vuitton Pochette Felicie, Philosophy Just Release Me Makeup Remover, The New Jim Crow, Kenneth Cole Nap Pillow, Cole Haan Tali Bow Flat, Gucci Soho Discho Handbag, Chanel No 5 Eau de Toilette Spray, Ralph Lauren Slipper Bootie, EllandEmm Vogue Sweatshirt, Louis Vuitton Key Pouch, Pandora Alluring Brilliant Ring, Louis Vuitton Cosmetic Pouch, Sticky Notes (Fancy, Marble), Banana Republic Moonless Night Long-Sleeve Cozy Top, Neutral T-Shirt, Nike Free RN Running Shoe, Nike Featherlight Baseball Cap, 50 for Your Future, Solange A Seat At The Table
See Also: Bri’s Favorite Things 2015, 2014, 2013
Taking selfies and usies can be fun; but, sometimes you capture an extra special moment – one so special that you want to hold it in your hand. As in print it out! Some people have actual printers in their homes 🙀 and keep photo paper on hand 🙀🙀. My hunch is that most of us don’t. So what options do we have? Sure, you can go online to CVS or Target’s photo lab, upload your picture, wait an hour (or several hours), then skidaddle (sp?) on over to the store and pick it up. Who has time for all that??? I want a small, simple and handy device to keep nearby in case I decide I want to an actual copy of that fabulous pic I took. I also want it right then and there – no waiting!!!! 👊🏽
Urban Outfitters has all kinds of gadgets and trinkets, like the Prynt Smartphone Photo Printer – just the thing I had in mind! The cost is $150 and it works just like you’d imagine; but, with an added feature – video. “Print instant photos from your iPhone 6/6s! Simply attach the Prynt case to your phone, take a photo plus a video. Then, print it out! When you hand your photo to a friend, they can use the Prynt app to unlock the hidden video, magically bringing your Prynt photo to life.
Sure there are similar devices out there; but, this one is super cool with a vintage flare. It comes in 3 colors: white, black and turquoise. The photos print to sticker paper! You can use it on birthday cards, in your planner or make it into a magnet! Prynt is a great Christmas gift idea for tweens – just be sure to buy them extra paper! 😉 Prynt’s blog has many more ideas for this device. To see the Prynt case in action, check out the video below. #HappySaturday