I recently discovered a new blog, Hack Life, and one of the site’s last post is absolutely amazing! The title of the article ism “Happiness is an inside job”. I even found an article written by the Huffington Post that describes the very same concept this way:
As long as you believe that your happiness comes from outside you, happiness will likely elude you. Every moment that you look to people, things, events and outcomes to make you happy is a moment of life lost. Every moment spent trying to control someone or something in the hopes of getting what you believe will make you happy is a moment of happiness and joy lost. Happiness is not something that happens to you. It is something you choose or don’t choose each and every moment.
Is that not amazing? I love it! But, back to the original article; I will summarize the tips here for you because reading the pointers/tips alone are valuable in itself! You can read the original article for more commentary.
Here are the 12 Things You Don’t Owe Anyone:
- You don’t owe anyone the right to regulate your dreams.
- You don’t owe anyone the right to clutter your mental and physical space.
- You don’t owe anyone else a rationalization for investing in yourself.
- You don’t owe anyone another excuse (but you owe yourself another chance).
- You don’t owe anyone the authority to validate you.
- You don’t owe anyone the love you need to be giving yourself.
- You don’t owe anyone the respect you deserve to be showing yourself.
- You don’t owe anyone else a “yes” when you need to say “no.”
- You don’t owe anyone else your quiet “me time.”
- You don’t owe anyone a change in your fashion, style or appearance.
- You don’t owe anyone else an explanation about your important relationships.
- You don’t owe anyone the power to repeatedly break your heart (but you owe yourself a chance to heal once and for all).
See also: No is a complete sentence sentence from THE shined rhimes herself in a discussion with Oprah. ♥ her and her! lol